Saturday, August 20, 2011

Had a Little Lamb

I only discovered lamb as my favorite meat about 10 years ago.  At my daughter’s suggestion, we had rack of lamb for Christmas dinner and I’ve been hooked ever since.  Lamb is simply the most flavorful meat I can think of, you barely have to do anything to it because it’s so tender and tastes so good on its own.  My discovery of lamb burgers came about 4 years ago when I was shopping for an impromptu dinner for a few guests and saw lamb burgers in the meat department of my grocery store.  I was intrigued, because, well – lamb burgers!
I can tell you that the dinner was a complete success and ever since then lamb burgers are my favorite burger, hands down.  You can find ground lamb at your local grocery, but if you don’t see it, ask for it.  If they have leg of lamb they should be able to grind it for you.  You need about a quarter pound per person.  I usually buy a pound and make 4 burgers from it.  You don’t need a grill, cooking the patties in a pan stovetop works very well.
Lamb burgers make a great casual gourmet meal.  They are easy and you could eat them like a burger with a bun.  I usually leave off the bun and serve them as I would a steak with a salad and a starch. Sweet potatoes are an excellent choice because they compliment the strong flavor of the lamb.  Be sure to set the mood with some great music and a bottle of wine. 
Lamb Burgers
1 lb                         ground lamb, from leg of lamb
1 tblsp                  cooking oil, canola or olive oil
3 – 4 tblsp            Crosse & Blackwell Mint Sauce
                                Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
                                Music to cook by – give a listen to Kurt Elling  http://kurtelling.com/index.php
Form 4 patties with ground lamb.  Heat the oil in pan on medium heat.  Salt and pepper both sides of lamb patties.   Cook in pan, turning over, until browned.  Do not overcook.  Lamb is like beef and is best served medium rare or medium.  When burgers are browned, add mint sauce to the pan and sizzle over burgers.  Serve with a nice salad and sweet potatoes, and of course a good glass of Pinot Noir or perhaps Cabernet.



No comments:

Post a Comment